5 Winter Activities for Seniors
The winter months can present unique challenges to seniors. From poor weather conditions that may aggravate medical conditions or prevent seniors from spending much time outside to potential dangers created by having to walk or drive in wet or icy weather, winter often means taking a different approach to daily life for seniors.
If you or your loved one are a senior who is trying to cope with the winter months, we want to provide you with a list of safe and fun activities that can make these times a little more bearable.
- Indoor exercises – Because poor weather can make it dangerous to go outside for a walk or for a breath of fresh air, indoor exercises can be a healthy and safer alternative. These include chair exercises, using a treadmill, hand strength and coordination activities, low-impact games on Wii, and gentle stretching. You can determine what’s safe for you, speak with a doctor about exercise suggestions, or learn how At Home Healthcare can incorporate these activities into services we provide in your own home.
- Games – There are numerous games that provide an excellent opportunity for fun and leisure indoors, as well as mental stimulation that becomes increasingly important as we age. Play your favorite board game, solve a jigsaw puzzle, attend a Bingo event, or even use a Wii to play electronic puzzle and math games. These fun activities can help keep the mind sharp and defend against seasonal and wintertime depression that affects people of all ages.
- Learn a skill or hobby – With additional time indoors, seniors may find that they can use their time productively to learn a new craft or skill, such as knitting, crocheting, playing an instrument, cooking, or woodworking by reading a How-To book, learning online, or watching an instructional video. Seniors may also choose to take classes that can teach them new skills, encourage social interaction, and offer an opportunity to get outside the house, or invite others over to enjoy a hobby together or to teach the skill itself.
- Read – Reading is a great activity any time of year, but it can be especially enjoyable when you cozy up with a good book or magazine during winter months. Seniors can also join a local book club, which can provide more interaction with friends and the opportunity to discuss what they have read.
- Spend time with friends – Spending time with friends and family can help pass the time and open up the world for a senior who may spend a lot of time at home. Inviting friends over for a weekly or even monthly event night can be a great way to catch up and enjoy a game or hobby as a group. Seniors may also hold book clubs or classes in their own home, where they can share their thoughts and skills with others.
The winter months can be tough for everyone, not just seniors. By being creative and making the effort to use time indoors productively and enjoyably, seniors and anyone else who may be homebound can fend off boredom, improve their physical and mental health, and have fun.
At Home Healthcare has been providing home healthcare services and assistance to residents throughout Texas since 1986. Our team of certified and compassionate professionals is available to help local residents with a wide range of services and support in the comfort of their own home.
If you have questions about services provided by At Home Healthcare or how we can be of assistance, contact us today.